SCO Family of Services Registered Nurse in Brooklyn, New York
- Performs physical, mental health and developmental assessments of youth at admission.
- Arranges for initial and annual comprehensive physical examinations, by a medical provider.
- Arranges for initial and annual dental and optical examinations by agency contracted providers
- Schedules appointments with primary care providers and appropriate medical specialists.
- Maintains comprehensive electronic medical record on each assigned youth.
- Develops a written descriptive health plan, in conjunction with the medical provider, of each youth.
- Oversees consent issues for procedures and treatment.
- Monitors compliance: ensuring youth comply with time frames for appointments and follow-up services.
- Develops health histories and abstracts for youth being transferred to another agency; or school.
- Provides discharge summaries for youth aging out of foster care.
- Obtains family health history, in conjunction with caseworker, from birth parents.
- Reports all illness and/or accidents, hospitalizations as required by the regulatory agency.
- Makes scheduled visits to group homes to meet with youth and program managers
- Makes hospital visits to assess child’s care when necessary.
- Contacts medical providers, hospital clinics, and laboratories for medical reports.
- Attends staff meetings and case conferences when indicated.
- Reviews medical records, medication administration records, laboratory and medical reports.
- Maintains medication record and mental health reports on youth receiving psychotropic medication.
- Provides psychiatrists with medical information, including laboratory results for monthly medication review.
- Provides health education to youth in the practice of preventive health and safety measures.
- Provides training to direct care staff on topics related to preventive health and safety measures.
- Provides education and counseling to adolescents on sexually transmitted infections, HIV related information, family planning, and documents these discussions in the electronic case record.
- Provides injections to transgender youth on hormone therapy
- Attends surgery consultations with youth pursuing medical gender transition
- Experience or interest working with the LGBTQ population
- Familiarity with NYC Admin for Childrens’ Services medical requirements helpful
- Registered Nurse currently licensed by the New York State Education Department. · Perform other duties as assigned.
· Licensed RN · New York State Drivers License · Experience in related health fields or childcare · Acceptable clearance checks for State Central Register, Driver license and fingerprinting as required by the program. · Compliance with health regulations for physical/mantoux testing. · This position requires successful completion of Therapeutic Crisis Intervention (TCI) training, which includes a written test and demonstration of the competency to perform physical restraints, as specified by the program and regulatory body. Additionally, staff must successfully complete all required TCI refreshers in order to maintain continued employment.
Title: Registered Nurse
Location: New York-Brooklyn-Boerum Hill
Requisition ID: 43026