Northern Light Health Cert Nursing Assistant/UC in Foxcroft, Maine
Northern Light Mayo Hospital
Department: Emergency Department
Position is located: Mayo Hospital
Work Type: PRN
Work Schedule: 7:00 AM to 7:30 PM
Performs direct and indirect patient care related duties under the direction of an RN as listed in the CNA training program curriculum prescribed by the Maine State Board of Nursing. Also performs the functions of unit receptionist, transcribes physician orders, maintains records, and orders unit supplies.
• Precepts and mentors’ new staff and students.
• Maintains positive working relationships with all members of the health care team.
• Demonstrates the ability to communicate pertinent data to the supervisor, nursing staff and medical provider efficiently and effectively.
• Integrate skills taught in special classes: People Based Patient Safety, Crucial Conversations, AIDET, Managing violent patients.
• Conducts oneself in a manner that coincides with the mission and values of Mayo Regional Hospital. This include relationships with peers on the unit and departments that interact with MS.
• Responds appropriately to emergency situations (fire, code blue, code gray, Plan Triage).
• Accurately transcribes orders according to priority based on patient need.
• Maintains appropriate levels of office supplies, unit nourishments and puts such supplies away promptly and in appropriate place.
• Appropriately assembles and ensures completeness of MS charts.
• Accurately files test results, and other data on patient charts.
• Accurately maintains MS patient logbook and daily census.
• Accurately retrieves and collects data as requested.
• Uses proper telephone etiquette in telephone, radio, and vocera communications and relays messages appropriately.
• Demonstrates proficiency and accuracy in entering patient information and physician orders.
• Appropriately notifies nurse or provider to take patient phone calls.
• Recognizes errors, corrects and notifies affected departments.
• CNA Duties
• Demonstrates proficiency and accuracy in recording I&O, Vital signs, and glucometer results.
• Performs ADL care appropriately that allows the patient to preserve as much independent function as they are able.
• Cleans and maintains the Patient environment to ensure patient safety and recovery.
• Assists patients in ambulation, wheelchair or stretcher transfers using proper techniques.
• Observes patient condition and reports objective findings to RN appropriately.
• Appropriately performs bedside shift reporting with the Patient, family and oncoming shift.
• Performs the procedures within the CNA scope of responsibility according to hospital policy.
• Accurately and consistently documents in the electronic medical record care provided.
• Answers patient call bell phone.
• Demonstrates knowledge and understanding of unit's performance improvement measures.
• Actively participates in unit Quality Assurance measures.
• Identifies quality/safety issues in patient care and works with the unit manager to resolve.
• Assigning staff and patient rooms with Vocera interface for the Nurse Call system.
• Scheduling outpatients in Outlook Calendar.
• Enters Outpatient charges in CPSI.
• Scans patient charges into CPSI.
Competencies and skills:
Behaves with Integrity and Builds Trust: Acts consistently in line with the core values, commitments and rules of conduct. Leads by example and tells the truth. Does what they say they will, when and how they say they will, or communicates an alternate plan.
Cultivates Respect: Treats others fairly, embraces and values differences, and contributes to a culture of diversity, inclusion, empowerment and cooperation.
Effectively Communicates: Listens, speaks and writes appropriately, using clear language. Communication methods are fitting to the message(s), audience, and situation and follow-ups are regular and timely. Shows that important (non-) verbal information is absorbed and understood and asks further questions to clarify when necessary. Expresses ideas and views clearly to others and has ability to adjust use of language to the audiences' level.
Fosters Accountability: Creates and participates in a work environment where people hold themselves and others accountable for processes, results and behaviors. Takes appropriate ownership not only of successes but also mistakes and works to correct them in a timely manner. Demonstrates understanding that we all work as a team and the quality and timeliness of work impacts everyone involved.
Practices Compassion: Exhibits genuine care for people and is available and ready to help; displays a deep awareness of and strong willingness to relieve the suffering of others.
Promotes Health and Safety: Promotes a healthy and safe environment for patients, employees and visitors. Advocates and models healthy physical and mental health behaviors even in challenging circumstances. Sets high quality standards and strives for continuous improvement and quality assurance by reporting and encouraging others to report near misses and safety issues.
Serves Others: Strives to understand, meet and exceed the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers which may include the people and communities in our service areas. Develops and maintains relationships, alliances and coalitions within and outside the organization and leverages them in order to obtain information, support, and promote cooperation and collaboration.
- Certified Nursing Assistant
- No Minimum Requirement
Potential exposure to diseases or infections.
Potential exposure to noise levels being uncomfortable.
Potential exposure to very hot or cold temperatures.
Work beyond the regularly scheduled hours.
Lifting, moving and loading 30 to 50 pounds.