St. Joseph Health / Covenant Health Nurse Manager - Psychiatric Acute Adult & Chemical Dependency (I/P) in Laguna Beach, California
We are looking for a Nurse Manager for the Psychiatric Acute Adult I-P & Chemical Dependency I-P Department at Mission Hospital Regional Medical Center.
Location: Laguna Beach, CA
Work Schedule: Full time - 80 Biweekly hours
Shift: 8 hour, Days
Reports to the Executive Director or Director and maintains 24 hour accountability in planning, managing, controlling and organizing comprehensive, safe, efficient, and high quality patient care. Assists in the administration of the budgetary functions. The Nurse Manager is responsible for coordinating the daily operations and clinical practice of the assigned service areas. Establishes and maintains standards of care and unit policies and procedures. Adheres to the ANA Nurse Administration Scope & Standards of Practice.
- Care of Patients:
• Assures that effective and appropriate care is provided to both Mission Hospital and CHOC Children’s at Mission patients when applicable. Demonstrates the ability to assess/meet the psychosocial and developmental age-related needs of the specific population served.
• Employs strategies to foster health promotion, health teaching, and the provision of the other educational services and resources.
• Assures that protocols or guidelines reflect evidence based practice, including accepted changes in care management, and addresses emerging problems.
• Uses creativity and innovation in nursing practice to improve care delivery and population outcomes.
- Management of Human Resources:
• Assures that staff education and training needs are met on a timely basis.
• Provides guidance and direction in resolving complex employee relations’ issues.
• Ensures minimal disruption of daily operations as issues arises, performing values-based verbal and written counseling as needed.
• Conducts performance reviews on a regular and timely basis, providing opportunities for personnel development through appropriate delegation, coaching, and performance analysis.
• Interview and hires personnel based on organization values, using facilitative leadership guidelines.
- Financial Management & Resource Utilization:
• Participates in development and justification of the operating and capital budget plan.
• Monitors budget compliance, and initiates corrective action in a timely manner.
• Administers expense and revenue reports, assurance of charge process, productivity, and budget data for assigned clinical areas.
• Monitors and adjusts staffing patterns based on patient care requirements and department needs consistent with productivity measures.
• Considers factors related to safety, effectiveness, cost, and impact on practice in the planning and delivery of nursing and other services.
• Develops, implements, and monitors compliance with departmental policies and procedures, ensuring that they are in compliance with standards of practice and regulatory bodies guidelines.
• Oversees departmental personnel and medical record maintenance: current licensure, certification, orientation, performance appraisals, quality controls, and log of operations and competencies.
• Evaluates own nursing practice in relation to professional practice standards and guidelines, relevant statutes, rules, and regulations.
- Improving Performance & Quality of Practice:
• Collects and analyzes comprehensive data, identifies expected outcomes. Develops, implements, and evaluates a plan to attain expected outcomes.
• Systematically enhances the quality and effectiveness of nursing practice, nursing services administration, and the delivery of services.
• Drives quality improvement programs and activities.
• Uses the result of quality improvement activities to initiate changes in nursing practice and in the healthcare delivery system.
• Assures the development and implementation of an effective, ongoing program to measure, assess, and improve the quality of care, treatment, and services delivered.
• Evaluates the practice environment and quality of nursing care rendered in relation to existing evidence, identifying opportunities for the generation and use of research.
- Service & Advocacy:
• Develops and maintains cooperative working relationships with various hospital departments and outside agency personnel.
• Regularly participates as a member of various hospital and/or medical staff committees in order to provide input into development of service goals, plans, and objectives.
• Demonstrates and promotes excellence in customer service when dealing with patient/family, physician, and employee issues.
• Advocates for the protection and rights of individuals, families, communities, populations, healthcare providers, nursing, and other professions, and institutions and organizations, especially related to health and safety.
• Positively represents Mission Hospital and CHOC Children’s at Mission in our community through coordination and support of educational in-services and participation in community education programs.
- Communication & Collaboration:
• Effectively uses appropriate means of communication across the organization.
• Keeps Director informed about significant events, problems, and corrective action taken.
• Serves as a member of designated committees. Performs and responds to committee needs and requests.
• Contributes to the professional development of peers and colleagues.
• Collaborates with all levels of nursing staff, interdisciplinary teams, executive leaders, and other stakeholders.
• Provides leadership in the professional practice setting and the profession by creating and maintaining a healthy work environment, engaging as a team builder, and serving as a change agent.
• Functions as a positive and effective role model who establishes quality standards and performance expectations.
• Collaborates with Director in developing plans for future programs, goals, and initiatives of Surgical Services, and in communicating, implementing, and monitoring results.
• Provides consultation to influence the identified plan, enhance the abilities of others, and effect change.
• Attains knowledge and competency that reflect current practice in order to develop, maintain, and improve skills in the nurse management role.
• Promotes advancement of the profession through participation in professional organizations.
• Integrates ethical provision in all areas of practice.
• Demonstrates the values of dignity and justice by assuring respect for patient privacy and confidentiality.
• Participates in multidisciplinary and interdisciplinary teams that address ethical risk, benefits, and outcomes.
• Incorporates “Code of Ethics for Nurses” in the specific nursing units.
Knowledge of nursing theory, practice, and administration in order to oversee planning and implementation of patient care.
Knowledge of the organization, operation, and coordination of several patient care services(s), in-depth and up-to date knowledge of patient care theories and practices, and ability to contribute to overall department administration.
Interpersonal skills necessary to provide effective leadership of subordinates, maintain a variety of internal and external contacts, and work cooperatively with the medical staff, hospital managers, executives, and department staff.
Analytical abilities necessary to evaluate delivery of care systems.
Knowledge of current trends and developments in area(s) of responsibility.
Proficient in required competencies upon completion of orientation, as listed on the unit specific Competency Inventory (if applicable).
Minimum Position Qualifications:
Bachelor's Degree in Nursing.
Master's Degree Nursing or related field.
Internal Candidates - Enrolled in healthcare or business related Master’s program by July 2020 and degree completion by December 2023. (The only exceptions are for incumbents who plan to leave the organization between those dates.)
External Candidates - Enrolled in healthcare or business related Master’s program by July 2020 and degree completion by December 2023.
Experience : Five (5) years of Clinical experience in Acute Care including 2 years in specialty area.
Current CA RN license.
Depending on specialty area: ACLS, PALS, NRP, monitoring or other certifications.
Within 6 months of hire, certification in nursing administration, management or specialty area as approved by American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Magnet.
Preferred Position Qualifications:
Experience : Management experience
License/Certification: Second National Certification in specialty area or Professional Certification in Nursing Administration or Management, as approved by American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Magnet.
At Mission Hospital with locations in Mission Viejo and Laguna Beach, CA our core values of Compassion, Dignity, Justice, Excellence and Integrity translate into an environment where the welfare of our patients always comes before the bottom line. As a member of Providence Health System, we serve all of south Orange County.
Mission Hospital Mission Viejo is a Level II Trauma Center and is the area's designated regional trauma center. We have Centers of Excellence in heart, maternity, trauma, breast care, spine, vascular, stroke and brain injury.
Mission Hospital Laguna Beach provides local coastal communities with 24-hour emergency department services, medical/surgical services, behavioral health programs including inpatient and outpatient psychiatric and chemical dependency services and an outpatient eating disorder program.
Mission Surgery Center performs approximately 4,500 annual surgeries and provides a safe and convenient outpatient setting. It is accredited by the Accreditation Association of Ambulatory Health Care.
We've received two Beacon Awards for clinical excellence and in 2012 we received Magnet Designation which recognizes hospitals for top patient care, quality nursing and innovations in nursing and healthcare. We offer a collegial work environment with competitive salaries and benefits.
Mission Hospital provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Mission Hospital complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Positions specified as “on call/per diem” refers to employment consisting of shifts scheduled on as “as needed basis” to fill in for staff vacancies.
Company: Mission Hospital Regional Medical Center
Category: Clinical Lead Supervisor/ Manager
Req ID: R330019
St. Joseph Health / Covenant Health
- St. Joseph Health / Covenant Health Jobs